As mums, we are all so quick to judge ourselves and question whether the way we parent is the right or wrong way. I must admit since going from one baby to two, I am always filled with self-doubt and guilt, and often find myself crying at the end of the day worrying whether I did enough for both of them. The reality is, I do, I always do enough even when it doesn’t feel it. So thanks to The UnNatural Mother (www.theunnaturalmother.co.uk) for the #RockingMotherhood tag, here are my 10 reasons I’m rocking the sh*t out of Motherhood..
1) Before having children I had terrible OCD, to the point I wouldn’t sit over the middle bit on the sofa in case food was in there, or touch washing up in the sink. Now I’m a mum of boys, I’m often seen sporting the latest fashion covered in bogeys and smeared food and I’m also able to clean the highchair with my bare hands.
2) Clark had a terrible bout of sickness recently and kept telling me how scared he was, so I just held him and allowed him to vomit all over me. There was the occasional gag on my part but I think I deserve a gold mum star!
3) Two out of the three pairs of jeans I own have holes in the knee where I spend my time pretending to be a dinosaur or chasing the boys around on the floor. So if you ever see me with a holey left knee (always the same one?) please note I’m not trying to be fashionable, I just can’t afford to keep spending out on jeans, which leads me to..
4) All my well-earned money goes on the boys. I kissed goodbye to shopping sprees for myself the minute I saw how cute tiny clothes were!
5) I allow my boys to explore and be adventurous so they learn success and failure – And by failure I mean if they continuously jump on the sofa, after I’ve told them they’ll hurt themselves, and then they do fall and hurt themselves, I HOPE that they’d have learnt their lesson and won't do it again. This is still being developed, so far this hasn’t taught them anything.
6) I try to make sure any housework is done whist they’re napping so I have time to sit and play with them.
7) I breastfed Clark and bottle fed Cruise and don’t feel guilty about either, because at the time it was the best thing for them and me. It’s not like they’ll be 18 and discussing it with friends.
8) Yesterday I got shit up my arm whilst changing Cruise’s nappy and didn’t even flinch. I carried on like the fantastic mum I am, and only realised I hadn’t washed it off when the smell lingered..This was only for about 5 minutes but still!
9) Selfishly I’ve started to allow myself some ’me’ time in the morning. It’s only 30 minutes a day, but it’s enough to make sure I’m relaxed and recuperated for the adventures ahead. This also gives me enough time to be an almost presentable mum once I’ve applied various lotions and slap to my tired face.
10) I give everything (& a little more) to my boys and husband, and I know I’m enough and doing the best I can (even though I do cry now and again!) As long as my boys know they’re loved and cared for, and know that I’ll be there every step of the way, then I know my role as mum is fulfilled..& I’m almost a little bit like my mum!
I’m tagging the following mummy bloggers to join in and share why they’re #RockingMotherhood:
Pippa at www.amothersramblings.com
Amy at www.thesmallestofthings.com
Karina at http://mumsthenerd.co.uk
Emma at www.themindsetofmum.blogspot.co.uk
And Katie at www.livinglifeourway.com
Here are the Rules
1. Thank the blogger that tagged you and link to their blog.
2. List 10 things you believe make you a good mother (this is just a guideline. It can be more or less than 10. I really don’t mind.)
3. Tag 3 – 5 bloggers to join in the #RockingMotherhood Tag.
4. Grab the #RockingMotherhood badge and add it to your post or sidebar